jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Use JCache JSR-107 for (all) caches
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:08:58 GMT
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Alexander Klimetschek <aklimets@day.com> wrote:
>> I would also first find the right persistence architecture and care
>> about what caches we need later (and avoid them as much as possible).
>
> Agreed. Ideally (not sure if that's feasible) we'd push all caching
> down below the unified persistence layer.

If the persistence architecture will be plugable like now you'll never
have any garantees that the persistence layer will cache anything and
even read operations can become quite expensive or slow. In that case,
caching just "above" the persistence layer like we do now with the
BundleCache would make a lot of sense.

For such a cache I do see benefits of using existing cache solutions
that provide monitoring, management and clustering.

Regards,
Bart