jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Use JCache JSR-107 for (all) caches
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:10:34 GMT
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Thomas Müller <thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is Jackrabbit too slow for you? Or do you have out of memory problems?
> Or why do you want to use your own cache?
Jackrabbit is not too slow ;-) The main goals for using JCache and
something like ehcache would be:
- monitoring (jmx), hit/mis counts, sizes
- management, easily adjustable, maybe runtime configurable
- clustering, for example having a separate cache cluster as a large
(100+GB) shared cache between Jackrabbit clustered nodes.

>> features like overflow to disk
>
> I would try to avoid that. It's not really a 'cache' if it has to be
> stored to disk, if the original data is also on disk.
Of course it is something to avoid and it won't help you that much if
your data is on disk, but I still think there are some advantages when
caches can overflow to disk:
- prevent OOMs (at the cost of a big slowdown)
- speed improvement for slow backends (for example cloud backends)
- caching of large binaries (100+MB)

> I would try to solve the root cause of the problem (problems
> supporting large transactions, improving performance) instead of
> trying to work around the issues on some higher level.
I totally agree. That's why I didn't mention large transactions or speed.

Regards,
Bart