jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Use JCache JSR-107 for (all) caches
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:57:11 GMT
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/17/10 5:29 PM, Bart van der Schans wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Right now there are several "homegrown" caches in Jackrabbit. Some
>> configurable, some based on soft/weak references. Using JCache it
>> would make it possible to leverage existing caching implementations.
>> This could help in making the caches better configurable and tunable
>> and have features like overflow to disk, which could help with large
>> transactions, persist caches to disk during restart for cache warming
>> and clustered caches. For example it could be interesting to share
>> bundle/item state caches between cluster nodes.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bart
> One thing to add to this list - monitorability of caches. AFAIK, there's
> no instrumentation available for Jackrabbit caches.
That would also be one of the benefits. A lot of the JCache
implementations support JMX management and monitoring. For an example
see:
http://ehcache.org/modules/monitor.html
http://ehcache.org/documentation/jmx.html

> In fact, JMX instrumentation in general may warrant its own thread.
We should start a separate thread for that. I would also love to have
all kind of JCR statistics from Jackrabbit through JMX like node read
and write counts, active sessions, total number of
nodes/props/revisions, etc.

Bart