jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Flat hierarchy
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:27:36 GMT
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:04, Jeff Yemin <jeff.yemin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas Müller-2 wrote:
>> You are right. Unfortunately "orderable child nodes" is the default.
>
> Where in the spec does it say what the default is for orderable child nodes?
> The only place I see it is in the CND for nt:unstructured.  Or is this a
> Jackrabbit implementation default that users now rely on?

I think Thomas refers to the commonly used nt:unstructured that has
orderable child nodes. Even if you inherit from it, you can't change
that behavior.

> Of the use cases I'm aware of for flat
> hierarchies, none require an ordering of the children anyway, so this might
> be an acceptable limitation in the implementation.

Right, there are either a low number of nodes that might be orderable
or a large number of nodes, that are unordered. At least these are the
cases that jr3 should be optimized for.

So for the unordered case, one should use a node type that does not
have orderable child nodes. If someone choses to add a lot of nodes to
an orderable child nodes list, it is ok to be slow.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek