jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [jr3] Use JCache JSR-107 for (all) caches
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:21:39 GMT
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 13:55, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. Ideally (not sure if that's feasible) we'd push all caching
> down below the unified persistence layer.

IMO that's exactly where a distributed cache belongs to.

the current design already implements some aspects but lacks other
important things. currently each cluster node has it's own bundlecache
with invalidation triggered on external changes. but filling the cache
is always done through shared storage. I think this can become a
bottleneck when the number of cluster nodes is more than just a few.
e.g. consider that each of the cluster nodes has event listener
registered that are interested in current changes. this will cause a
rush on the shared storage whenever a change is done. ideally the
cluster nodes (or more specifically the micro-kernels) would share
their cached items with other cluster nodes. shared storage is only
accessed when none of the cluster nodes can provide the request
version of an item.

regards
 marcel