jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Use JCache JSR-107 for (all) caches
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:20:08 GMT
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
<b.vanderschans@onehippo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Alexander Klimetschek <aklimets@day.com> wrote:
>>> I would also first find the right persistence architecture and care
>>> about what caches we need later (and avoid them as much as possible).
>>
>> Agreed. Ideally (not sure if that's feasible) we'd push all caching
>> down below the unified persistence layer.
>
> If the persistence architecture will be plugable like now you'll never
> have any garantees that the persistence layer will cache anything and
> even read operations can become quite expensive or slow. In that case,
> caching just "above" the persistence layer like we do now with the
> BundleCache would make a lot of sense.

BundleCache is not above, it's part of the persistence layer.

btw, the persistence architecture should IMO not be plugable in the
common sense, i.e. an operator shouldn't be able to switch them.

the persistence managers in the current architecture aren't plugable
either, for a good reason.

cheers
stefan