jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [jr3] Synchronized sessions
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:10:24 GMT
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
>> Most jcr apps I've seen often use a single session from several threads
>> to read from this session. (I think I also read it somewhere that this
>> is safe with jackrabbit, but I might be mistaken).
>
> that's an unsupported api usage. i don't see why would need to support this
> in a future version.
I didn't say if jackrabbit should support this in the future or not. :)
I'm just stating the fact, that huge apps that are built on top of
jackrabbit make use of this! For example see this thread
(http://n4.nabble.com/session-pooling-td539577.html#a539577) where it is
explicitly stated that it's safe to use jackrabbit sessions for multi
threaded reading. And as I said I've seen such hints and usage a lot.

And if I'm not mistaken, with explictly introducing all these syncs you
enable multi-threaded read *and* write access.

>> Simply syncing everything on the session would decrease performance in
>> these cases dramatically.
>
> is this just a wild guess or do you have figures that prove your claim?
Now, with the suggested syncing you have a very high level sync point
where only one client after the other can use the objects.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org