jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Synchronized sessions
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:54:54 GMT
Hi,

On 25.02.2010 16:34, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
>> Most jcr apps I've seen often use a single session from several threads
>> to read from this session. (I think I also read it somewhere that this
>> is safe with jackrabbit, but I might be mistaken).
>
> that's an unsupported api usage. i don't see why would need to support this
> in a future version.

Ok, so you want to synchronize (almost) everything to actually support a
use case which is not supported ? I don't get it ;-)

>> Simply syncing everything on the session would decrease performance in
>> these cases dramatically.
>
> is this just a wild guess or do you have figures that prove your claim?

This is rather high level of synchronization. Consider two or more
threads reading different items at the same time: they all are chained
one after the other.

Yes, this is unsupported, yet you want to add synchronization to secure
this unsupported case ...

Regards
Felix