jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <justinedel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Wrapped intelligent objects
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 03:51:44 GMT
On 2/17/10 5:51 PM, Johann Sorel wrote:
> Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 21:58, Johann Sorel
>> <johann.sorel@geomatys.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry to kick in the discussion, I made an implementation of JCR last
>>> septembre for our geographic information system.
>>> While doing it I found one annoying point in the current specification.
>>> If you can take a minute to read the following.
>>>
>>> As you know all, jcr is designed to manage datas of basic types :
>>> double,
>>> string, boolean, stream ...and so on.
>>> That solves most needs for any kind of storage system. But in some cases
>>> like ours we also store what I would
>>> call "intelligent" objects, like mathematic functions, coordinate
>>> systems ,
>>> objects that have more then just properties
>>> fields, they have capabilities (methods to make it simple).
>>>
>>> I believe most of you have already made a bit of Swing before, there
>>> is a
>>> class MutableTreeNode with a getUserObject()
>>> method used to retrieve the real object hiden behind the node.
>>>
>>> My suggestion would be to have a similar approach in JCR. something like
>>> unwrap() to acces the intelligent object on the node
>>> if there is one of course.
>>>
>>> JCR is great but infortunatly we seen that we can do nothing else then
>>> copying informations, make statistics or search based on properties.
>>> Which is mostly useless for us. We need to be able to access the objects
>>> hidden behind the nodes,
>>> objects that follow whatever else specification (GeoAPI specification
>>> in our
>>> case) so that we can work with them.
>>>
>>> I hope you see the point here.
>>>

>> Did you try Object Content Mapping (OCM) with JCR (eg. Jackrabbit OCM)?
>>
>> In the end, the objects you want to store have fields that boil down
>> to the basic properties (and if sth doesn't fit well, there is always
>> string, which can be searched). Real object databases would be close
>> to what you have in mind, but they always have the advantage that the
>> data and fields/properties are not very visible, ie. there are no
>> generic, standardized ways to look at the data, independent from the
>> specific programming language they are designed for.
>>
> We only use jackrabbit JCR commun module, and we don't intent to use any
> more
> module or we will lose all our cache structure (duplicate would be more
> extact).
> The problem is not the storage anyway.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here about your cache
structure, but I agree with Alex - the "intelligent object" problem you
describe above seems to solved by OCM.

> let's take an exemple :
>
> Imagine Liferay for exemple, 2 companies manage somehow to expose
> repositories
> in liferay by adding each one a plugin. thoses repositories are now
> visible by any portlet in liferay. Each
> repository have geographic datas clearly defined by a well knowned Node
> type.
>
> Now you add a mapping jsf portlet made by a third company that can
> access thoses repository and can render
> any object that match this node type. problem is, the attributs are not
> enough to render a map, he needs acces to
> the hidden object, objects that follow another specification.
> But unfortunatly he can't since not method on the JCR node interface can
> give him this object.

And why do you think you can't do this with OCM?

The mapping portlet would just need to use the ObjectContentManager to
get an instance of your custom class. The only difference is that
instead of the Node having a "hidden" instance of a custom class, the
portlet just gets an instance of the custom class. Which is actually
simpler.

> Using JCR is a bit like being in front of a no entrance bunker,
> informations are exposed through a small perfectly formatted window.
> The bunker has a big sign writen : "hospital", ho! great I'm a doctor, I
> can talk my own language (specification) with them (100times more
> efficient) but how do I get in ? there is no entrance.
> I believe there is a need for this door otherwise JCR will be
> incompatible with any other specification.

I'm not sure what other specifications you're referring to here. Can you
elaborate?

Justin