jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Johann Sorel <johann.so...@geomatys.com>
Subject [jr3] Wrapped intelligent objects
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:58:10 GMT
Hi,

Sorry to kick in the discussion, I made an implementation of JCR last
septembre for our geographic information system.
While doing it I found one annoying point in the current specification.
If you can take a minute to read the following.

As you know all, jcr is designed to manage datas of basic types :
double, string, boolean, stream ...and so on.
That solves most needs for any kind of storage system. But in some cases
like ours we also store what I would
call "intelligent" objects, like mathematic functions, coordinate
systems , objects that have more then just properties
fields, they have capabilities (methods to make it simple).

I believe most of you have already made a bit of Swing before, there is
a class MutableTreeNode with a getUserObject()
method used to retrieve the real object hiden behind the node.

My suggestion would be to have a similar approach in JCR. something like
unwrap() to acces the intelligent object on the node
if there is one of course.

JCR is great but infortunatly we seen that we can do nothing else then
copying informations, make statistics or search based on properties.
Which is mostly useless for us. We need to be able to access the objects
hidden behind the nodes,
objects that follow whatever else specification (GeoAPI specification in
our case) so that we can work with them.

I hope you see the point here.

thanks

Johann sorel
Geomatys