jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Yemin <jeff.ye...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Flat hierarchy
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:25:07 GMT

Thomas Müller-2 wrote:

>> The part that's not clear to me is how this can be efficiently combined
>> with
>> an append-only storage format that's being discussed on the "[jr3]
>> Unified
>> persistence" thread.  It wouldn't be good if every time a list of
>> children
>> is modified the persistence layer has to make a complete copy of the
>> modified B-tree
>
> You only have to update the b-tree node that is modified. That may be
> a hidden node (internal, hidden b-tree node) or a "real" node.

In that case re-balancing of the tree will have to be taken into account,
where multiple internal nodes of the tree can be modified as a result of an
insertion or deletion.

Also, it seems to me that technically we're probably talking about a B+
tree, as it makes sense that the real child nodes would all be pointed to
from the leaf nodes.

Jeff