jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Yemin <jeff.ye...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Flat hierarchy
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 18:53:27 GMT

Thomas Müller-2 wrote:

> If there are many child nodes, then we should try to optimize for the
> most important case. I think it doesn't make sense to optimize for the
> case that the long list (many thousand) children are manually
> re-ordered (using orderBefore).

Even without using orderBefore, the specification still requires a stable
ordering of children for nodes that support orderable child nodes (see 23.1
of JCR 2.0 spec).  One possibility is to limit the use of the B-tree to
nodes that do not support orderable children, and fall back to the simple
array for orderable children.  Of the use cases I'm aware of for flat
hierarchies, none require an ordering of the children anyway, so this might
be an acceptable limitation in the implementation.

Jeff