jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From rokham <somebodyik...@gmail.com>
Subject Tomcat stops responding due to too many requests - using Jackrabbit
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:40:10 GMT

Hi,

I've written a web application using Jackrabbit. I have Tomcat as my web
server and I'm having a strange problem when a large number of requests are
sent to Tomcat simultaneously.

Here's the scenario:

When I have about 7 people accessing the server and sending about 10-15
requests at a time, the server starts off very strong and keeps going for
about 5 minutes (Each of the 7 people sends 3-4 batches of requests over
those 5 minutes. This means in 5 minutes we have 7 people sending about 50
requests each. Therefore a total of 350 requests). After the 5 minutes the
sever slows down and about 2-3 minutes after doing the same routine, Tomcat
stops responding.

I was monitoring the system and the CPU was calm and the memory was running
at about 100 MB. But it's really strange that Tomcat stops responding even
though the server is not doing anything. And it's not like the request has
timed out. No error msg or anything is sent back from Tomcat.

I'm using Jackrabbit as my DB and I'm having a really hard time spotting the
problem. I don't know if I need to tweak tomcat's configs, or something in
Jackrabbit or is it something with Tomcat and Jackrabbit talking to each
other, that I need to know about.

I came across the post below and the line saying It is caused by an in
accessible data base.  made me wonder if there's a glitch between tomcat and
jackrabbit.
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg158745.html

Thank you in advance. Any help is much appreciated, since I need to have the
system ready in a week.