jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: Merging components
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:47:24 GMT
Hi,

> Or better yet, the whole world should be one jar file ;-)

Or each class could be its own component. We already started with
jackrabbit-jcr-client.

Seriously, I think many jackrabbit jar files could be combined. I
don't see a point in having 10+ jar files for something that is almost
always used as one component. Splitting a component in multiple jar
files costs and is risky (development, testing, deployment) and should
only be done if there is a good reason. Life would be easier for
everybody if we would combine some projects.

Other 'storage backend' products are bundled like this:

1 jar file: Lucene (core)
1 jar file: HSQLDB
1 jar file: Derby (embedded)
1 jar file: H2 (embedded & server & client & tools & api)
1 file: SQLite (also available as one combined single source file)

For a Jackrabbit "Hello World" application, I need at least:

- jackrabbit-core-1.6.0.jar
- jackrabbit-text-extractors-1.6.0.jar (36 KB)
- jackrabbit-spi-commons-1.6.0.jar
- jackrabbit-spi-1.6.0.jar (24 KB)
- jackrabbit-jcr-commons-1.6.0.jar (212 KB)
- jackrabbit-api-1.6.0.jar (40 KB)
- jcr-1.0.jar
- lucene-core-2.4.1.jar
- slf4j-log4j12-1.5.3.jar