jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: Generic JCR repository factory
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:39:39 GMT
Hi,

> I would not do relative paths, this becomes very unstable.

That's true. We could start with absolute path only. More features can
still be added later on if required (ideas: supporting "~" prefix,
supporting system property expansion).

>> Instead of a new class with a constructor, I would add a static method
> Please not a static method.

A regular method is fine as well. But _please_ not a constructor. A
constructor would mean the method can't return a different object. And
a constructor (again) means hardcoding a class in the application
instead of using interfaces. -1 for GenericRepository.

>> We do have an API for shutdown now: RepositoryManager.stop().
> Is this only for RepositoryImpl ?

No, it's part of the Jackrabbit API. See JCR-1865
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?view=rev&rev=815339

It's quite tricky to get the RepositoryManager instance, but all is
done using interfaces (no need to hardcode concrete classes).

> Or this generically usable with the
> new GenericRepository ?

I don't think it's possible. And that's good, because
GenericRepository, beeing a class and not an interface, would again
lead to big problems. -1 for GenericRepository (did I say that
already?).

Regards,
Thomas