jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merging jcr2spi and spi2jcr to spi-commons
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:19:13 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Angela Schreiber <anchela@day.com> wrote:
>> This would support the long term goal of getting rid of the separate
>> transient space implementations in core and jcr2spi, as it would be
>> easier for core to reuse stuff from jcr2spi.
>
> if this is the aim of the whole execise then i don't see
> why we have to do this right now... i don't know of any
> plans to have core reusing jcr2spi stuff.

My main aim is to simplify the deployment of SPI connectors like
spi2dav (see the related thread on remoting and JCR-RMI). Having
jcr2spi included in spi-commons would remove one extra dependency from
client projects and would allow spi2dav to include a
javax.jcr.RepositoryFactory implementation.

> jcr2spi currently is a half-way jsr 283 implementation as
> we are short of resources and fixing access control,
> rentention management, shareable nodes etc. for the
> jcr2spi doesn't have any prio. i don't see how you want
> to merge that with the core.

I have no immediate needs on that front in mind. But having the
jcr2spi code included in spi-commons will make it easier to move
forward on this front in the future if or when we have more resources
for that.

> and last but not least:
> i don't see any reason why we have to discuss this
> right now. michi is on vacation and i'm kind of busy
> with the next CQ release... honestly i don't have leisure
> time to think about things that i consider not to be
> crucial for the overall functionality.
>
> can we please postpone this discussion?

No problem, but I'd like to see a resolution (either way) on this
before Jackrabbit 2.0 is final.

I brought this up now since I ran into this issue when looking at ways
to simplify DAVex clients, which will be fairly important especially
if we decide to drop JCR-RMI.

BR,

Jukka Zitting