jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Merging jcr2spi and spi2jcr to spi-commons
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:30:49 GMT
Hi,

I was looking at ways to simplify the dependency set for SPI
implementations, and started thinking of why we really do need to have
jcr2spi and spi2jcr in separate components. They're obviously
architecturally different, but they share essentially the same
dependencies and will both need to be updated whenever the SPI
interfaces change. We don't even test them separately. Managing them
as a single unit with a single version number would be easier.

I propose that we take both the jcr2spi and spi2jcr codebases and
merge them to the spi-commons component that also has the same set of
dependencies and is tightly related to both of the two components.

The downside of such a merge is that some deployment scenarios (a
jcr2spi + spi2dav client for example) will end up with some unused
classes in the classpath, but that's already the case with
dependencies like commons-collections.

Are there some points that I'm missing?

BR,

Jukka Zitting