jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Remoting and future of JCR-RMI
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:52:38 GMT
Hi,

So far I've just assumed that, since JCR 2.0 is backwards compatible
with JCR 1.0, we'll have no trouble using the JCR-RMI layer on top of
a JCR 2.0 repository even if the layer itself is still built against
JCR 1.0.

Unfortunately, now that I looked at this in more detail, my assumption
turns out to be false. Since the JCR-RMI layer acts both as a JCR
client and a server it's not possible for one end to use JCR 1.0 while
the other uses JCR 2.0. Furthermore the remote interfaces and objects
passed through RMI include javax.jcr.RepositoryException and a
serializable javax.jcr.Value implementation, so even just splitting
the JCR-RMI layer to separate client and server parts will not solve
the problem.

With enough work we could solve both of the above issues to make
JCR-RMI work with all combinations of JCR 1.0 and 2.0 clients and
servers. However I'm not convinced that it makes sense to spend all
that effort when we now have the WebDAV-based remoting layer that's
already pretty feature-rich.

So I'm thinking of putting JCR-RMI on a maintenance track for old 1.x
releases, and perhaps even dropping the RMI layer entirely from
Jackrabbit 2.0.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting