jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Security Question Jackrabbit 1.6
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:39:48 GMT
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:20, KÖLL Claus <C.KOELL@tirol.gv.at> wrote:
>>i wouldn't call extending an interface a backward compatibility issue.
> ok thats matter of opinion :-) but if we write in the release-notes something like
>
> #Apache Jackrabbit 1.6 is fully compatible with the previous 1.x releases.
> #A previous Apache Jackrabbit 1.x installation can be upgraded by replacing
> #the relevant jar files with the new versions and adding some new dependencies.
>
> it's not really true. i think a class like the accessmanager will be implemented by a
more people
> so they must change code ... anyway thats not a really big problem.

AccessManager is a Jackrabbit-internal API, which is allowed to change
between a 1.5 and 1.6 release. The statement "fully compatible" is
meant to be for client applications: it covers both existing
repository data (using built-in classes for the config elements) and
the client-facing JCR and Jackrabbit API. For internal implementation
extensions, it must be allowed to change, otherwise you'd have too
many obstacles to start any innovation.

Regards,
Alex

--