jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit management API
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:01:49 GMT
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 17:43, Thomas Müller<thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
> Creating the Repository object is specified in the JCR 2.0 API, and I
> don't see why Jackrabbit can't be compliant.

getting or creating a repository object does not necessarily mean
starting the repository. the latter is what Jukka means with lifecycle
(IIUC).

JSR 283 only specifies how you get an instance of Repository. it does
not specify anything that allows you to *control* when a repository is
started or stoppped.

> Repository shutdown is not specified in the JCR 2.0 API, however for
> that we have the Jackrabbit API. The current mechanism is
> JackrabbitRepository.shutdown(). There is no access control, which is
> bad.

I don't think so. a shutdown method with a session is not symmetric.
otherwise you would also have to control if someone is allowed to
start a repository.

> One solution would be: JackrabbitRepository.shutdown(Session s).

that would e.g. require that a container that controls the lifecycle
of the repository needs credentials to start and stop it. I don't
think that useful.

> There are other solutions, but in any case this shouldn't affect how
> you _get_ the repository object.

agreed. if you just want to get a repository instance you use RepositoryFactory.

regards
 marcel