jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR 1456 Database connection pooling
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 16:12:02 GMT
Hi,

I merged all the recent changes from trunk to the JCR-1456 branch.
This makes it easier to compare the branch against the trunk and
eventually to merge the pooling changes back to trunk.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Thomas Müller<thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
>> You do need the commons-dbcp library on your classpath
>
> I don't know if this acceptable, probably it is. So you would need
> commons-dbcp-1.2.2.jar, which is 120 KB. What about commons-pool, or
> other dependencies of commons-dbcp?

We've typically added or changed a few dependencies in each minor
release and doing that in Jackrabbit 2.0 is quite OK.

The size of commons-dbcp and it's dependencies is pretty small
compared to things like the new POI libraries we're adding in 2.0 to
implement full text indexing of  OOXML documents.

>> it is retrieved every time it is needed from a pooling DataSource.
>
> Do you know how much this slows down operations? Probably we should
> try to measure this.

Agreed, though intuitively the effect of pooling should be negligible
(a few extra method calls and hash lookups compared to the work that
happens in the underlying database).

BR,

Jukka Zitting