jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit management API
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:54:26 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Thomas Müller<thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
> The shutdown mechanism needs to be compatible with the JCR API [1].

I still don't understand this requirement. JCR does not specify a
mechanism to shutdown the repository, so by definition a feature like
this can't be JCR-compatible.

Instead of extending the JCR RepositoryFactory interface to do
something like this, I'd simply add a new plain and simple
RepositoryManager interface:

    public interface RepositoryManager {
        boolean isRunning();
        void start() throws RepositoryException;
        void stop() throws RepositoryException;
    }

You can still make such a manager accessible via one of our JCR
extension interfaces through a getRepositoryManager() method, but
there are many likely deployment scenarios (OSGi service references,
JNDI lookups, JMX and SNMP bindings, etc.) where it's beneficial if
you *don't* need to go through the JCR API to be able to control the
repository

BR,

Jukka Zitting