jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit management API
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:05:25 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Thomas Müller<thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
> The solution should be compliant with the JCR 2.0 API (specially
> regarding creating Repository objects).

It can't be compliant, as the repository lifecycle is outside the
scope of JCR 2.0. You can use the RepositoryFactory to get reference
to a Repository instance, but that API is hardly sufficient for
controlling the lifecycle of the repository.

Think of the complexity of controlling the lifecycle of Derby that
uses the DriverManager API in JDBC to startup and shutdown the
database. It's doable, but not very pretty. The way I see it, we
should rather use RepositoryFactory as a way to access an already
existing repository.

> We should use interfaces and no 'hard coded' classes. There are two reasons:

Exactly, that's why I'm proposing a management API.

> I don't think that we should _rely_ on a specific mechanism such as
> JMX, JNDI, OSGi, Spring and so on. Any such mechanism should be
> orthogonal to the Jackrabbit API.

Agreed, though the API should be designed to support easy integration
with such technologies.

BR,

Jukka Zitting