jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit management API
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 14:00:55 GMT
Hi,

Let's branch some of the more general discussion from JCR-1865 to here on dev@.

The issue is about repository management operations like starting and
stopping the repository, changing repository configuration, etc. that
are typically only available to administrators. It would be nice if
these operations could be accessed through mechanisms like JMX for
easy integration with various network and server management and
monitoring tools.

The question is, should such an API be implemented by extending the
existing JCR Repository and Session interfaces for easy access over
layers like JCR-RMI and SPI, or should it be a separate interface that
is only exposed to selected clients? The former approach requires some
extra administrator-level access controls and might be more difficult
to integrate with JMX, while the latter approach requires extra
configuration and won't benefit from our existing remoting mechanisms.
It might also be possible to merge these approaches somehow, for
example with a method like
JackrabbitRepository.getRepositoryManager(Credentials).

A related consideration is what we are going to do with OSGi. The OSGi
bundle lifecycle and configuration mechanisms offer much of the same
functionality as proposed above, and there are already things like JMX
integration for OSGi.

BR,

Jukka Zitting