jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Thrasher <ja...@coachthrasher.com>
Subject Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:12:58 GMT

Hi Folks,
What's the status of JCROM -> Jackrabbit idea, and OCM in Jackrabbit in
general?  It's not clear from reading the website, or the lists.

I can see from the September 2009 status webpage that this JCROM integration
may seriously move forward:
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-status-september-2009.html
... which is cool, but:

We're using Jackrabbit v1.5, and heavily using the OCM components therein.
Those components appear to have been removed from later releases.  Is this
to make way for JCROM?

Since they've been removed, we won't be updating without substantial changes
to our content object model's classes and DAO infrastructure.  Before
starting to use Jackrabbit OCM, I had evaluated JCROM's use, or rolling my
own.  However, I had decided not to use JCROM because it would have added
dependencies, and complication, and spillover that I wanted to avoid.
Another dependency on a 3rd party with duplicated functionality is generally
something to be avoided.  It seemed that Jackrabbit's OCM would be
sufficient.  I did like JCROM's simplicity though.  It's very clean.
Meanwhile the trial and error experience using Jackrabbit's lightly
documented, and mostly docuemented in code, OCM was painful, but works
solidly at the end of the day.

Insights into the roadmap for both OCM's would be very helpful.

thanks,
Jason