jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branch and backports management
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:07:09 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM, S├ębastien
Launay<sebastien.launay@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
> For commit log, i suppose that i need to provide the issue id
> and description for allowing JIRA to create links to SVN diffs
> and to ease backports.
> Do i need to create an JIRA issue for each modification ?

Yes, that's preferable. You can commit simple things like typo fixes
or javadoc updates without an issue reference, but in general all
non-trivial changes should have an entry in the issue tracker and the
commit message should refer that issue.

> If i want to fix a bug do i need to update branches like 1.6
> and trunk or is there a merge manager :) or tool for
> backporting modifications ?

We're using the merge tracking feature introduced in Subversion 1.5.
The basic workflow is to commit the fix to trunk first (unless the
issue is specific to a branch) and then use the "svn merge" command to
merge that change to a branch. Alternatively you can simply commit the
fix in trunk and mark the related Jira issue as fixed for the next
patch release. The release manager is responsible for checking that
all (and only) the issues marked for a patch release have been merged
to the respective maintenance branch.

> Does this also apply to new features where source code
> modifications cannot be easily merged between branches ?

Yes, though normally we only apply bug fixes to release branches.

Note that currently we have two active branches 1.x and 1.6. The 1.x
branch is there in case we still need to do a 1.7 release based on JCR
1.0 and some new features or improvements that can't be made in a
1.6.x patch release. It's preferable if any backports from trunk are
first merged to the 1.x branch and from there to the 1.6 branch. That
way we can keep the merge tracking records clean.

> About coding standard, i see that Checkstyle is used in
> some components, are there any other standard for Java
> or other kind of files ?

The Checkstyle profile in jackrabbit-core/checkstyle.xml is probably
our most strict style definition, but we haven't been too religious
about it. We generally follow the standard Java coding conventions
from Sun (with spaces instead of tabs for indentation) but don't worry
too much about finer details. See also JCR-97 for the catch-all coding
style and the good discussion in the comments.

BR,

Jukka Zitting