jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Reason for Item.save() to be deprecated...
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:52:12 GMT
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Luca Tagliani<l.tagliani@cbt.it> wrote:
> We have developed a webapp for content management using jackrabbit as
> repository.
> Using the GUI (JSF) we can alter, modify, create or delete the entities
> present in our repository (everithing, from user to document are mapped as a
> node in the repository).
>
> If we modify a different entity and want to save only one of them, we have
> the problem to remove from the transient storage the modifications of the
> other entity (which, of course, we don't put in a list of modified
> entities...).
>
> In this case, Session.save() persist all the modified entities, which,
> obviously is not what we want.
> That's why we use the Item.save() method.
>
> We hope that it won't be removed in the future or else we won't be able to
> update the repository to the newer version of Jacrabbit.

Your request should go to the JSR-283 committee, but not sure if there
is still a way to interact, since the public review is already over.

Personally, I think Item.save() can be useful sometimes, albeit the
question still remains why exactly you need it in your use case? Why
having so many modifications pending while already "working" on other
items and saving them step by step?

Regards,
Alex

--