jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Question on mix:referenceable .
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:38:13 GMT
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:49 PM, <ndesk1900@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this mean that just to prove that multiple workspaces can have nodes with same UUIDs
the jack rabbit implementation sees to that the roots the the same UUIDs?

> Reason why i ask is that technically they could have different UUIDs and things would
yet work right?

No, it's actually defined by the JCR 1.0 spec, section 4.9 [1]:

"A repository implementation may make its workspace root nodes
mix:referenceable. If so, then the root node of all workspaces must be
referenceable, and all must have the same UUID."

I think the underlying reason for this is that the
workspace-to-workspace copy/move/merge algorithms rely on this. If a
node is not referenceable, the nearest ancestor that is referenceable
will be used (plus the relative path) - see section 7.1.8 [2]. So as
fallback you always need the root node as "orientation", but in this
case identified by UUID.

[1] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/4.9_Referenceable_Nodes.html
[2] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/7.1.8_Updating_and_Cloning_Nodes_across_Workspaces.html

Regards,