jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From sorel <johann.so...@geomatys.fr>
Subject Logger politic in Jackrabbit 2
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:35:18 GMT
Hello,

I'm starting to work with jackrabbit for a Geographic library,
GeotoolKit (http://www.geotoolkit.org).

Since our library is huge and has plenty of dependencies (jfreechart,
ardor3d, jasperreport ...) total 40Mb, 125 jar files.
Every project we are related to has more or less it's own Logging politic.
- Log4J
- Commons-logging
- slf4j
- jlo
and some others ...

I believe that everyone will understand that all thoses logging systems
brings some redundant functionalities and a mess when we want to
configure the loggers. So our project has choosen a be neutral and uses
the default Java logger. We even asked some other project if a similar
neutral politic could be adopted too, sometimes with success sometimes
being ignored.

This might be a selfish request, but I would like to know if there is a
reason for the choice of slf4j over the standard logger in jackrabbit ?
Is the standard logger unappropriate ?

johann sorel
Geomatys