jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Reindexing a workspace ...
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:58:59 GMT
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Thomas Müller <thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> lets say you have a disk crash and you must restore the index folder but it was backed
up a day before.
>> to get a consistent state with the data you must re-index the whole workspace.
>
> Probably my original mail was unclear. I repeat: "One solution is to
> use clustering. One cluster node (the 'master') is used for regular
> requests, while the other (the 'backup') is used for backup. The
> master node continuously runs, while the backup node is stopped from
> time to time to create a backup." In that case the Lucene index in the
> backup is consistent. After a crash, you restore the backup. Like
> that, you don't have an inconsistent index.

We use exactly such a solution with some success. The problem I see
with this solution apart from the obvious extra resources you will
need, is that you also have to backup the database at 'about the same
time'. It just feels like a big workaround and you never feel really
sure you've got 'everything'...

If we could have some kind of 'flush everything to disk/database/index
and hold a write lock until further notice' method and a 'please
continue as normal' method that could be called remotely somehow it
would make creating consistent backups much easier:
- issue 'flush and hold'
- use your favorite backup method, rsync, scp, db dumps, etc.
- issue 'continue'

Any thoughts if such a thing would be possible? If so, I could help to
implement this.

Regards,
Bart

--
Hippo B.V.  -  Amsterdam
Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT, Amsterdam, +31(0)20-5224466

Hippo USA Inc.  -  San Francisco
101 H Street, Suite Q, Petaluma CA, 94952-3329, +1 (707) 773-4646
http://www.onehippo.com   -  info@onehippo.com