jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Using the patch-available workflow in Jira (Was: Jackrabbit 1.6 release plan)
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 13:11:46 GMT
Hi,

2009/5/25 C├ędric Damioli <cedric.damioli@anyware-tech.com>:
> We provided a patch several months ago, but AFAIK nobody reviewed it.

We've now had already a few cases like this where a perfectly good
patch gets overlooked for months at a time. That's not a a good sign,
so I'd like to find some way to fix this.

We currently have almost 300 open issues in Jira, so unless you
already know which issue has a patch available it's hard to go looking
for patches to apply. To avoid this problem I'd like to adopt the
"no-reopen-closed, patch-avail" workflow in our main Jira project. The
JCR Commons component projects in Jira have already been set up with
this workflow.

This workflow is just like what we have now with two differences:

1) A closed issue can't be reopened. This works well for our Jira
practices, as we normally "resolve" an issue when it's fixed and
"close" it when the fix is released. After that the issue should no
longer be reopened to avoid

2) There's a new optional issue status called "patch available". A
contributor can move an issue from "open" to "patch available", and a
committer can then move it either back to "open" if the patch is
rejected or "resolved" if the patch is accepted. The good thing about
this is that with this extra status we can easily list just those
issues that have patches waiting for review.

Any objections to changing the workflow? If not, then I'll change the
Jira settings accordingly.

BR,

Jukka Zitting