jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christophe Lombart <christophe.lomb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OCM] Mapping of JPA entities
Date Mon, 25 May 2009 13:38:51 GMT
2009/5/23 Benjamin Rack <benjamin.rack@gmx.de>

> Hello,
> I'm trying to persist JPA entities to a Jackrabbit Repository using the OCM
> framework.

I'm not sure that it will be possible or easy in all cases. There are many
JPA annotations that will not be usefull in a JCR context and some
annotations are missing in the JPA world to have a full JCR support.

Nevertheless, we can start a review and make a prototype. If you are
interested to work on that, there is a jira issue (

> The main problem in doing so is that such entities normally do
> not contain suitable properties for storing the path and uuid, which is
> required for OCM in order to handle instances of the entity classes.

This is certainly a good example on what is missing in the JPA world.
Path and UUID have to be supported in an OCM-JPA implementation.

> My current approach is using Javassist in a preprocessing step and
> enhancing
> the given entity classes by adding two special properties and respective
> get/set methods for these properties. Furthermore the preprocessing step is
> used for generating the OCM mapping metadata by analyzing the JPA
> annotations in the given entity classes and transforming them into
> according
> OCM mapping metadata.

 I understand your problem but I'm not a big fan of code enhancement.

  What are you doing with the entity primary keys (@id or @EmbeddedId)?

> Is there another approach, which possibly could make the mapping of JPA
> entities to a Content Repository a bit easier? Perhaps, someone has already
> solved this problem in a better way.

No sorry :-(

I'm not sure that we have to support all JPA features. Maybe you can start
smoothly even if you have to modify the annotations in your entities.

> Thanks,
> Benjamin

View raw message