jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Florent Guillaume ...@nuxeo.com>
Subject Re: Naming Chemistry
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:00:33 GMT
Hi,

I'm hope you'll forgive me, but I won't contribute to this discussion
beyond this email as I'm quite tired of playing naming games.
We've already been through 3 names, so I'll concentrate on writing
actual code until this is resolved.

I'm ok with "Chemist" as well, although I expect it'll raise the same
arguments as "Chemistry".

The objections to "Chemistry" as potential confusing regarding the
science of chemistry seem off-base to me. If there ever was a
chemistry-based project in Apache, I expect they'd choose their own
codename instead of the just all-encompassing chemistry moniker.
Regarding the existing chemistry-named java project, it's called CDK
or Chemistry Development Kit, never just chemistry. Finally I gather
that nobody complained that Lucene had nothing to do with the city,
that Shale had nothing to do with the rocks, or that Jackrabbit had
nothing to do with the furry animal. So why complain about chemistry...

Regarding other suggestions: we've also been through the grep /usr/
share/dict/words here at Nuxeo, and considered and rejected many
names. The problem is not finding potential ones, the problem is at
some point saying "ok this one is good enough".

I contend that Chemistry is good enough.

Bye,
Florent

--
Florent Guillaume, Head of R&D, Nuxeo