jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 release plan
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:13:06 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once the 1.x branch has been created on April 30th, we will upgrade
> the JCR dependency in trunk to the JCR 2.0 jar included in the  JSR
> 283 proposed final draft.

I will start the migration tomorrow afternoon once 1.x has been
branched. This will most likely result in some breakage of the build,
so if you're not involved with the JSR 283 efforts you may want to
follow the 1.x branch for a while.

I will also point all our current Hudson builds to the 1.x branch
until trunk has stabilized enough for CI builds to make sense again.

> The JSR 283 RI and TCK will be branched off from the Jackrabbit trunk
> at some point after both codebases have reached reasonable
> feature-completeness. After that, once the JSR 283 is final, we will
> upgrade the JCR 2.0 API dependency from the proposed final draft to
> the final version and focus on stabilizing the trunk for the
> Jackrabbit 2.0 release. I'll keep you posted as more details of these
> milestones and expected schedules become available.

As you probably saw already, I tagged all the major JSR 283 feature
issues for the 2.0.0 release in Jira. I also upgraded the priorities
of those issues to Major or Critical based on my assessment of the
required effort and expected impact of the changes.

The sub-tasks view in JCR-1104 give a good summary of the relevant
issues. I'll try to work through that list of issues and figure out
where we are in terms of completeness as many of the issues have
already seen quite a bit of work done to them. Perhaps we can use the
funny time-tracking feature to get a rough summary estimate on where
we are.

I'm also planning to set up a series of time-based milestone releases
leading up to 2.0.0. Every few weeks I'd cut a new 2.0-M? release
based on the then-current trunk. These milestones (essentially alpha
releases) would allow people to try out the new features and also give
us a clear record of what's been achieved and what still needs to be
done.

Once we get a better picture of the JSR 283 schedule and our progress
towards feature-completeness, we can decide which milestone to use as
the branching point for the RI and TCK releases.

BR,

Jukka Zitting