jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Approve Chemistry for Incubation
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:03:16 GMT
Hi,

There's been a lot of interest towards a CMIS implementation, and we
already have quite a bit of related code in the JCR-CMIS and Chemistry
codebases. The related community seems to be growing beyond what we
can reasonably manage in the sandbox, so it makes sense to spin the
effort off to a new project in the Incubator.

The Chemistry proposal [1] has been prepared to be presented to the
Apache Incubator. The wiki source of the current proposal is also
included at the end of this message. As described in [2], I'd like to
call the Jackrabbit PMC to vote on sponsoring the Sling project and
approving it for incubation. The vote is open for the next 72 hours
and only votes from the Jackrabbit PMC members are binding. The vote
passes if the majority of binding votes is positive.

Please cast your votes:

   [ ] +1 Approve the Chemistry project for incubation
   [ ] -1 Don't approve the project, because...

See [3] for more information on the Incubator policies, and [4] for a
detailed description of the role and responsibilities of a Sponsor.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ChemistryProposal
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Entry+to+Incubation
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
[4] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor

BR,

Jukka Zitting

= Apache Chemistry =

=== Abstract ===

Apache Chemistry is a generic Java language implementation of the
upcoming [http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cmis OASIS CMIS]
specification.

=== Proposal ===

Apache Chemistry is an effort to provide a Java (and possibly others,
like !JavaScript) implementation of an upcoming CMIS specification,
consisting of a high-level API for developers wanting to manipulate
documents, a low-level SPI close to the CMIS protocol for developers
wanting to implement a client or a server, and default implementations
for all of the above. Chemistry aims to cover both the !AtomPub and
SOAP bindings defined by the CMIS specifications.

=== Background ===

The proposed CMIS (Content Management Interoperability Services)
standard defines a domain model and set of bindings, such as !AtomPub
and SOAP that can be used by applications to work with one or more
Content Management repositories and systems. The standard aims to help
providing vendor-neutral formats to share information across Internet.

The submission of the specification was originally proposed by seven
CMS vendors and since that a number of other vendors have joined the
OASIS TC, both commercial and Open Source. It is now in an early
definition phase (started in September 2008); improvement of
specifications and compatibility among existing implementations are
the short term goals for CMIS.

There has been considerable interest in a JCR-based implementation of
this proposed standard, and some months ago a group of interested
people started working on such a codebase in the Apache Jackrabbit
sandbox. Write access to the Jackrabbit sandbox was opened to all
Apache committers to lower the barriers for cooperation.

This work gave birth also to an effort at creating a more generic CMIS
implementation framework. This effort, named "Chemistry", has been led
by Florent Guillaume and other Nuxeo employees. The Chemistry work has
taken place in a Mercurial source repository outside Apache, since the
developers are not yet Apache committers and thus do not have write
access to the Jackrabbit sandbox.

This situation with separate codebases in separate source repositories
was causing confusion and coordination problems. The effort was
clearly no longer just an extra component in Jackrabbit, and so it was
proposed that the project should brought to the Incubator where it can
grow in a more controlled and yet less constrained manner.

The project name went through a few iterations before reaching "Apache
Chemistry" (based on CMIS, as in !CheMIStry). There were some concerns
about that name being too "general" and conflicting with potential
future chemistry projects in Apache, but we feel that these are mostly
hypothetical issues. There is also a minor naming overlap with another
Java project called "Chemistry Development Kit", but the developers of
that project weren't too concerned about that so we think it's fine
for us to use this name.

=== Rationale ===

More vendors moving to CMIS means more choice for customers who will
be able to use different implementations. For the standard to succeed,
however, ensuring interoperability is paramount: in order to manage an
ever growing context and leverage the enormous portability and
interoperability issues that a globally adopted Standard brings, it is
necessary to think about how to make the related ecosystem healthy and
sustainable. Successful modern standards are driven by:

    * Clear documentation, built iteratively with continuous feedback
from stakeholders
    * A clearly defined compatibility process, enforced by tools that
allow to gauge how implementations can be compatible and interoperable
    * Accurate compliance criteria, documented in writing as well as
in actual testing code that measure how tools and libraries are able
to interoperate
    * A reference implementation to clear up potential doubts and
ensure that the standard can actually be implemented in real life
scenarios

The above mentioned pieces are able to make the development activity,
towards a CMIS implementation, easier and more successful.
Having an healthy ecosystem will ensure a smoother implementation
process, more compliant products  and, ultimately, a wider adoption of
the standard.

The CMIS ecosystem has been successful in creating and documenting
early drafts the basic standard, yet it might potentially lack two
very important components, that is a Reference Implementation (RI) and
a Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK). As much as such artifacts can be
developed independently by any CMIS proponent, the value of having a
neutral party as a steward of actual code is to be considered. The
Apache Software Foundation has been playing this kind of role for many
years, and can provide the perfect environment to foster contributions
on the CMIS theme with a great amount of expertise.

=== Initial Goals ===

    * Implement the latest draft of the CMIS specification
    * Provide input to the TC on the implementation details of the spec

== Current Status ==

=== Meritocracy ===

All of the initial committers are open source developers and many of
them have already worked in other Apache projects. We will follow
standard Apache procedures in accepting new contributors to the
project team.

=== Community ===

Managed by an OASIS Technical Committee, the CMIS standard definition
should be based on the idea of a community driven effort. In the last
months the lack of a development community around CMIS has showed up.

Apache Chemistry aims to be a community driven initiative in
developing a Java CMIS implementation. Such an approach is allowing
more transparency and direct feedback even within the definition and
improvement of CMIS specifications.

We welcome everyone interested in CMIS to join the Chemistry effort.

=== Core Developers ===

The core developers of the Chemistry project have a strong background
within the ECM industry. While a core structure of a CMIS sandbox has
been set up by some Jackrabbit PMC members, there has been a very
important contribution by a development team from Nuxeo, led by
Florent Guilaume. The Nuxeo team has implemented a draft version of
the project on a Nuxeo repository; such a version has been merged
inside the Jackrabbit sandbox. Developers from Day and Sourcesense
have contributed to the project since its early stages: Dominique
Pfister (Day) and Paolo Mottadelli (Sourcesense), with some patches
contributed by Gabriele Columbro (former Sourcesense and now
Alfresco); also a few commits by Jukka Zitting (Day) are tracked.

=== Alignment ===

An ancestor for the project was built in the Apache Jackrabbit
sandbox. One of the first backend to be written for Apache Chemistry
will be one for JCR, using Apache Jackrabbit.

Chemistry also exploit capabilities from some other Apache projects.
The !AtomPub binding is built upon an Abdera extension covering
specific CMIS elements. The SOAP binding takes advantage of CXF and
its JAX-WS APIs as a services framework.

Chemistry will potentially establish an interesting relationship with
every Apache project handling any sort of content. Web frameworks such
as Cocoon, Struts, Wicket and Tapestry can find a good relation, as
well as SOA frameworks or ESB including Tuscany and Synapse.

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned products ===

Apache Chemistry is a fresh new codebase that targets the still moving
CMIS standardization effort. Thus the future of this project depends
heavily on the success of the standard. We hope and expect that our
implementation efforts will strengthen and support the CMIS standard.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

All the initial committers are experienced open source developers.

=== Homogenous Developers ===

The initial committers work for a number of different companies, each
with their own backgrounds and priorities.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

Many of the initial committers are paid to work on this or related projects.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

Chemistry will directly use at least the following projects:

    * Abdera - for !AtomPub bindings
    * CXF - for SOAP bindings

Many other Apache projects may be interested in using Chemistry to add
CMIS support once the standard is final.

=== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

We value Apache as a neutral place where diverse communities can work
together on implementing shared standards. We hope that this part of
the Apache brand helps attract contributions from many potential CMIS
vendors. However, the brand value is not the main reason why we prefer
to have this project at Apache.

== Documentation ==

This project is still at an early stage, so there is not much
documentation available. See the
[http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cmis OASIS CMIS] page for
information about the CMIS standardization effort.

== Initial Source ==

The initial source for the Chemistry project comes from the following
two sources:

   * The Chemistry codebase developed at Nuxeo
(http://hg.nuxeo.org/sandbox/chemistry/)
   * The JCR-CMIS sandbox components developed at Apache Jackrabbit
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/jcr-cmis/)

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

   * Nuxeo has already filed a software grant covering their Chemistry codebase
   * All contributions to the JCR-CMIS components in Jackrabbit have
been made by people with CLAs on file

== External Dependencies ==

All the external dependencies of the initial codebases comply with
Apache licensing policies.

A binding to the [https://metro.dev.java.net/ Metro] web service stack
is being planned for increased interoperability. The licensing
implications of that dependency (CDDL+GPL) will be considered in more
detail during incubation once the technical details are clearer.

== Cryptography ==

Apache Chemistry is not expected to implement or use cryptographic code.

== Required Resources ==

Mailing lists

 * chemistry-dev@incubator.apache.org
 * chemistry-commits@incubator.apache.org
 * chemistry-private@incubator.apache.org

Subversion Directory

 * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/chemistry

Issue Tracking

 * JIRA CMIS (CMIS)

Other Resources

 * none

== Initial Committers ==

|| '''Name'''               || '''Email'''                     ||
'''CLA'''        ||
|| Florent Guillaume        || fg@nuxeo.com                    || yes
|| Bogdan Stefanescu        || bstefanescu@nuxeo.com           || yes
|| Stéphane Lacoin          || slacoin@nuxeo.com               || yes
|| Sun Seng David Tan       || stan@nuxeo.com                  || no
|| Gabriele Columbro        || columbro@gmail.com              || no
|| David Nuescheler         || uncled@apache.org               || yes
|| Paolo Mottadelli         || paolo@apache.org                || yes
|| Dominique Pfister        || dpfister@apache.org             || yes
|| Stéfane Fermigier        || sf@nuxeo.com                    || no

== Affiliations ==

|| '''Name'''               || '''Affiliation''' ||
|| Florent Guillaume        || Nuxeo             ||
|| Bogdan Stefanescu        || Nuxeo             ||
|| Stéphane Lacoin          || Nuxeo             ||
|| Sun Seng David Tan       || Nuxeo             ||
|| Gabriele Columbro        || Alfresco          ||
|| David Nuescheler         || Day               ||
|| Paolo Mottadelli         || Sourcesense       ||
|| Dominique Pfister        || Day               ||
|| Stéfane Fermigier        || Nuxeo             ||

== Sponsors ==

Champion

 * Jukka Zitting

Nominated Mentors