jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Testing with Websphere 6.1 & Oracle 11g
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:33:40 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Serge Huber <shuber2@jahia.com> wrote:
> From my point of view I have the following options :
>
> - directly connect Jackrabbit to the database, without using the container
> datasource and using JDBC connections
>
> - modifying the thread creation in Jackrabbit to maybe use something like
> the CommonJ Workmanager interface that allows the creation of contained
> managed threads
>
> The first solution I keep as a last solution, because I think that clients
> using Websphere will not like the idea of having JDBC connections that they
> have no control over.

On the other hand Jackrabbit doesn't like JDBC connections that it
doesn't have full control over. For example, mixing a Jackrabbit
transaction and a container-managed database transaction is a bad
idea. Also, Jackrabbit likes to keep long-lived database connections
and switch them back and forth from auto-commit mode, which are both
operations that some container-managed data sources don't like that
much.

So, from a technical perspective your path of least resistance would
clearly be to go with the first option.

BR,

Jukka Zitting