jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Add id map and path map in SharedISM?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:42:34 GMT
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:12, Stefan Guggisberg
<stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> how about adding a method to the ItemStateManager that will return a
>> HierarchyManager. depending on the implementation it may return a
>> CachingHierarchyManager or just the plain one.
>
> hmm..., my gut feeling says that an ISM shouldn't know about hierarchy...

yeah, I'm also not 100% convinced, but it seems that those two pretty
much go hand in hand. there's a one to one relation between the two.
as a side effect it would ease the creation of a
CachingHierarchyManager, because currently you have to manually
register the hierarchy manager as a listener on the item state manager
(or actually on an instance of an implementing class, if it supports
it).

>> or as an alternative, add a caching hierarchy manager  to WorkspaceInfo.
>
> +0.5 ;)

I proposed WorkspaceInfo because it is session independent, compared
to WorkspaceImpl, which is created for each session instance. anyway,
this is not really fleshed out.

> there's been quite a few tricky CachingHierarchyManager-related issues
> in the past [1]. while i agree in general that a per WorkspaceInfo
> hierarchyManager
> would be a good idea i am somehow afraid of introducing new issues...

on the other hand... ;)

it would add more (test) coverage on the CachingHierarchyManager
potentially revealing more issues, but will allow us to fix them.

regards
 marcel