jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Add id map and path map in SharedISM?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:12:10 GMT
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Marcel Reutegger
<marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:
> I think this is an interesting idea. there are several locations in
> the query handler code where a hierarchy manager is created for the
> shared item state manager. Instead of creating new instances over and
> over again, it would be more efficient to reuse a shared instance.

agreed.

> how about adding a method to the ItemStateManager that will return a
> HierarchyManager. depending on the implementation it may return a
> CachingHierarchyManager or just the plain one.

hmm..., my gut feeling says that an ISM shouldn't know about hierarchy...

> or as an alternative, add a caching hierarchy manager  to WorkspaceInfo.

+0.5 ;)

there's been quite a few tricky CachingHierarchyManager-related issues
in the past [1]. while i agree in general that a per WorkspaceInfo
hierarchyManager
would be a good idea i am somehow afraid of introducing new issues...

cheers
stefan

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&query=CachingHierarchyManager&summary=true&description=true

> regards
>  marcel
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 18:40, defeng <defeng.lu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But in ShareISM, when creating EventStateCollection, it still uses
>> session-scope HierarchyManager to getPath(id).
>>
>> In my test, I found getPath(id) was a very expensive method, that's why i
>> want to cache the id-path map in shared-scope.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

>>> no. CachingHierarchyManager reflects session-scoped hierarchy information
>>> (i.e. including transient state) whereas SharedISM has global workspace