jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: THe Searching and Indexing Policy of Jackrabbit
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:04:59 GMT
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Fard <maurice.fard@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Jackrabbit to manage my repository. I would like to search
> through data there but I don't know what is the policy of jackrabbit for
> searching. I mean, "query string" is searched through indexes or it is
> searched through data.
> The second question I need to know: what is Jackrabbit policy for indexing
> data? Does Jackrabbit perform indexing data automatically or it is
> programmer duty to do that? and If it does indexing automatically when and
> how Jackrabbit perform it.

Search is defined in the JCR 1.0 specification. Level 1 repositories
must support XPath queries (section 6.6 [1]), SQL is part of the
optional feature set (section 8.5 [2]).

The scope is defined that only persisted (ie. saved) data is searched,
see section 6.6.7 [3].

In Jackrabbit the search index is enabled in the repository.xml via
the SearchIndex element [4], which is there by default. Jackrabbits
implementation will take care of automatic indexing.

[1] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/6.6_Searching_Repository_Content.html
[2] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/8.5_Searching_Repository_Content_with_SQL.html
[3] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/1.0/6.6.7_Search_Scope.html
[4] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-configuration.html