jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Apache JCR Commons
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:40:47 GMT
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Managing separate release cycles within a single Jira project is quite
> painful. Just look at the version fields in the SLING project for an
> example. And that's just a single release per component so far...

Looks a bit weird, but in the end it shouldn't be a difference in
amount of work. The only difference I see is that you always see the
versions of other components that are unrelated to the current
component (in the Sling project). And the overview pages are a bit
cluttered. But this could be seen as a missing feature in Jira...

> The Apache Commons project has a separate Jira project for each
> component and that setup works fine.

Ok, so this style seems to be accepted, then Jackrabbit couldn't be
made responsible for cluttering the Apache Jira ;-)

> If a component is "too small" to even have it's own issues (!), then
> there's not much point in even having such a component, is there? ;-)

I didn't said it had no issues, I just proposed the granularity to be
the one of a Jira component. It might be painful to release components
separately, but that's simply because Jira doesn't allow a
matrix-style versioning and/or forces release units to be a separate
project.

As it seems, releases are the major driver for this decision, so I can
live with the separate Jira projects.

Regards,
Alex

--