jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Apache JCR Commons
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:42:22 GMT
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> The JCR Commons subproject would take over the development and
> maintenance of the following components:
>    * jackrabbit-jcr-commons
>    * jackrabbit-jcr-tests
>    * jackrabbit-jcr-benchmark
>    * jackrabbit-jcr-rmi
>    * jackrabbit-jcr-servlet
>    * jackrabbit-webdav
>    * jackrabbit-jcr-server
>    * jackrabbit-classloader
>    * jackrabbit-ocm
>    * jackrabbit-ocm-nodemanagement

Do all these projects solely rely on the JCR API? They shouldn't be
dependent on anything from core (or the deployment packages + the SPI
stuff), because - as the core already depends on some of them, eg.
jcr-commons - we would have circular dependencies. I don't have an
overview of the dependencies at the moment, that's why I am asking.
This clear separation should be the guide for everything in the
commons subproject.

> * Mailing lists: We create the following new mailing lists for the
> subproject: commons-{user,dev,commits}@jackrabbit.apache.org. Again,
> following the example of Apache Commons in how to organize the mailing
> lists (for example use a [rmi] subject prefix for all messages
> regarding JCR-RMI) is probably a good idea.

Not sure if we should create more mailing lists, as many mailing lists
make it difficult for beginners to get a start ("which one shall I
subscribe to for a quick question?"). Maybe we can re-use the existing
ones and work with the mentioned "[commons-rmi]" prefix there.

If we have separate svn trunks and a separate jira project, this would
be kind of a mismatch, but I suggest that in the beginning we should
"force" people to cross-talk on commons and core. Only if commons
becomes active on its own, we could separate the lists as well. WDYT?

Otherwise my ACK to all other points!

Alexander Klimetschek

View raw message