jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Cher <weiching.c...@customware.net>
Subject WebDAV in Atlassian Confluence
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 03:41:56 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I am working on a WebDAV project that is utilizing Jackrabbit as the
front end of WebDAV that maps back to Atlassian Confluence hierarchy as
a repository. We're able to replace the default Jackrabbit repository
with Confluence as a repository and able to browse Confluence hierarchy
and write to Confluence with WebDAV on Windows XP, Vista and Mac. The
problem I am facing now is that I couldn't edit text file (double click
on text file) on Windows XP and Vista.

 From my findings I notice that mounting as Shared Folder/Network Drive,
editing text files is possible and when mounting as Web Folder, text
files are not editable. Below is the way how I mount and compare between
Apache WebDAV Server and Confluence.

First I tried to mount Apache WebDAV Server (without Basic
Authentication), they are below:-

    *Shared Folder/Network Drive*
    1. Start > My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive
    2. In the 'type in folder' type in  '\\localhost\webdav' or
    'http://localhost/webdav' (Windows will convert this path to
    \\localhost\webdav)
    3. Click Next and a link will be created in 'My Network Places'

    *Web Folder*
    1. Start > My Network Places
    2. Add a network place
    3. In the 'Internet or network address' type in the address
    'http://localhost:8080/webdav' (Windows will not convert this path
    when a port is specify)
    4. Click Next and a link will be created in 'My Network Places'

Next I have used two ways to mount the WebDAV plugin for Confluence
(with Basic Authentication), they are below:-

    *Shared Folder/Network Drive*
    1. Start > My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive
    2. Type in the folder -- \\localhost\webdav
    3. Authentication box will popup and key in Confluence's username
    and password will not proceed. By checking the network traffic logs,
    I found out that it is using Netbios and SMB protocol and points to
    Microsoft-ds port 445 (Windows Authentication)
    *
    Web Folder*
    1. Start > My Network Places
    2. Add a network place
    3. Type in the address -- http://localhost:8080/webdav
    4. Authentication box will popup and key in Confluence's username
    and password
    5. After that a link will be created in "My Network Places"
    (In this way of mounting I couldn't have text files editable. I have
    notice that Windows client is not sending a GET command back to
    Confluence which is the server)

Source code to the Atlassian WebDAV 2.0 Alpha plugin can be checked out
here
<https://svn.atlassian.com/svn/public/contrib/confluence/webdav-plugin/branches/webdav-2.0-alpha/>

Is there anything wrong somewhere that might cause the text file not
editable? And is there anything else for me to do to make text files
editable besides mounting differently as I described above?

--
Regards,
Philip Cher

Developer | CustomWare Asia Pacific | www.customware.net
T: +6 03 2091 9000 Ext: 9040| F: +6 03 2178 4145 | M: +6 012 293 8919

Please consider our environment before printing this email.
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information
intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail
is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received
this e-mail in error you must (a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on
it; (b) notify itsupport@customware.net and the sender immediately; and (c) delete the original
e-mail.