jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Logging into the repository
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:13:59 GMT
Hi,

in JCR you have a Repository, of which you have a single instance
running and which is an interface you can get either if you created
the repository yourself (using TransientRepository) or if you acquire
it via JNDI or RMI. To work with the API, you always need a Session
(can be loosely compared to a JDBC connection). You retrieve a session
by logging in to the repository (Repository.login), specifying some
credentials and the workspace you want to use (typcially null for the
default workspace).

Some of the jackrabbit webapp servlets log in to the repository
themselves to get a Session and do something with it. But each
application should acquire its own session. If you implement
webapplications, it is recommended to map a single request to one
session. Getting a session has almost no overhead (<1-2 ms typically).

How the login authentication work is defined by the LoginModule
configured in the repository.xml of Jackrabbit (note that this is
Jackrabbit-specific). The standard SimpleLoginModule you mentioned
accepts anyone (more complete authentication and authorization
implemenations are currently being implemented as part of the JCR 2.0,
see recent threads on this and ther users@jackrabbit mailing lists for
more information).

Have a look at the javadocs [1] or the jcr spec [2], for example
section 4.1 "API Basics".

Regards,
Alex

[1] http://day.com/maven/jsr170/javadocs/jcr-1.0/