jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: JCR Commons or Commons JCR
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:17:33 GMT
> Hi,
>
>  A notable part of our codebase is stuff that works on top of the JCR
>  API without a direct relation to the Jackrabbit repository
>  implementation. Having this code in Jackrabbit is one key driver for
>  example in the desire to make our release process more componentized.
>  It also makes the "What is Jackrabbit?" question harder to answer and
>  looks weird in JCR client applications that have a direct dependency
>  to "Jackrabbit" even if it's just jackrabbit-jcr-commons.
>
>  David just brought up the idea of splitting such general purpose JCR
>  code out of Jackrabbit. One way to do it would be to create a "JCR
>  Commons" subproject within Jackrabbit, and another would be to propose
>  starting a "Commons JCR" component in Apache Commons.
>
>  WDYT?
i find this a very good idea. i would love to have all the helpers and
tools that operate directly on jcr and not the jackrabbit-api in a
commons-jcr project. having it outside of jackrabbit is surely the
longtime goal - but some code of jackrabbit core depends on it, and i
fear that a new commons-jcr project would be less controllable if not
maintained by jackrabbit devs. otoh it wold certainly push jcr more to
the community and make it even more visible.

so what about 'incubate' a jcr-commons
(org.apache.jackrabbit.commons.jcr.*) within jackrabbit and shell out
all important peaces, and then once released as jackrabbit project
apply for a subproject within apache-commons ?

regards, toby