jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Remove pooling for text extraction
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:20:48 GMT

In JCR-390 we added support for text extraction in background threads.
This was done with the PooledTextExtractor class that maintains a pool
of threads for this purpose. Do we need that pool, or could we simply
just start a new thread for each new extraction task? That would
simplify the indexing code.

The time to start a new thread is probably minimal compared to that of
parsing a document. And when you're parsing a lot of large documents,
much of the time is spent waiting for IO so the more concurrent
threads you have the better throughput you get.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message