jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: Serializable ItemStates
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:27:27 GMT
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Marcel Reutegger
<marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone remember why ItemStates are serializable? It seems they are
> never actually serialized directly. Instead we use the Serializer utility
> class that serializes the individual parts an ItemState consists of.
>
> maintaining backward compatibility for serializable classes is quite
> painful. If we don't actually use it I suggest we drop it.

-10000!

...just kidding ;)

serializability of ItemState's is a leftover from jackrabbit's humble beginnings
where ItemState instances were persisted in the file system using standard
java object serialization.

a while ago i also toyed around with ehcache for allowing jackrabit's internal
itemstate caches to overflow to disk (which required itemstates to be
serializable).
it turned out that it's possible with jackrabbit's current model.

+1 for dropping it

cheers
stefan