jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: Serializable ItemStates
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:27:27 GMT
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Marcel Reutegger
<marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> does anyone remember why ItemStates are serializable? It seems they are
> never actually serialized directly. Instead we use the Serializer utility
> class that serializes the individual parts an ItemState consists of.
> maintaining backward compatibility for serializable classes is quite
> painful. If we don't actually use it I suggest we drop it.

...just kidding ;)

serializability of ItemState's is a leftover from jackrabbit's humble beginnings
where ItemState instances were persisted in the file system using standard
java object serialization.

a while ago i also toyed around with ehcache for allowing jackrabit's internal
itemstate caches to overflow to disk (which required itemstates to be
it turned out that it's possible with jackrabbit's current model.

+1 for dropping it

> regards
>  marcel

View raw message