jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Component releases, proposed solution
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:16:02 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@gmail.com> wrote:
> As corrolary to these notes, I would add (yes these will be controversial, I
> know):
>
>  * Branches are used for development and not for releases.
>  * Releases are (almost) only cut from trunk
>  * In case of an important bugfix to be applied to an old
>    release, a branch will be created from the respective
>    release tag [...]

-1 I'm more a fan of release branches than development branches. Why?

a) It makes it easy to produce patch releases containing just bug
fixes. Such maintenance releases are important as they can be easily
applied in production with low risk of regressions and zero need for
configuration changes.

b) Release branches only require "one-way merging" from trunk. This is
quite simple and pretty well supported by Subversion. Development
branches however require "two-way merging", first to keep up with
other changes in trunk and then to merge changes back to trunk. The
merge tracking feature in Subversion 1.5 makes this easier, but it's
still tricky.

c) I think it's important that we have all development happening in
the same tree. Any extensive development effort that lasts longer than
a few weeks will require coordination with other developers, and the
easiest way to do that is to keep it in trunk.

Our trunk is (and should be) the place where bleeding edge development
happens. We use branches so that trunk can continue to evolve while a
feature release is being stabilized or maintenance releases are being
prepared.

BR,

Jukka Zitting