jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r666010 - in /jackrabbit/trunk: ./ jackrabbit-api/ jackrabbit-classloader/ jackrabbit-core/ jackrabbit-jca/ jackrabbit-jcr-commons/ jackrabbit-jcr-rmi/ jackrabbit-jcr-server/ jackrabbit-jcr-servlet/ jackrabbit-jcr-tests/ jackrabbit-jc
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:18:25 GMT
On Jun 10, 2008, at 2:07 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Carsten Ziegeler
> <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
>> jukka@apache.org wrote:
>>> -Copyright 2007 The Apache Software Foundation
>>> +Copyright 2008 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>> INAL but shouldn't this be a period of time, like 2007-2008 and
>> not just the
>> last year?
>
> Hmm, yes. Now that I looked at the matter in more detail [1], it looks
> like the year in the copyright notice should be the year of the "first
> publication". Other years or a range should be used for substantial
> modifications.
>
> [1] http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/
> usc_sec_17_00000401----000-.html

"in the case of compilations, or derivative works incorporating
previously published material, the year date of first publication
of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient"

The copyright notice in NOTICE refers to *this* compilation and
*this year* is when this compilation is published for the first time.

....Roy