jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Müller" <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: Documentation
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:46:49 GMT
Hi,

> better documentation for Jackrabbit.
> many things are missing, also for some very
> basic descriptions. One can see that by the type of questions coming
> up on the users list.

I agree. Having bad documentation is bad because:

- Many users don't use the mailing list and just move on.
- There should be a reply for every question - is there a way to track that?
- The same questions/problems show up again and again, and answering takes time.

With good documentation, one can reply with link(s) in most cases.

> - sort the current documentation (have an index..)
> - add more (especially basic stuff)

We should also remove outdated (invalid) stuff.

> - provide a separate documentation section per release (1.4, 1.5)
> - and package the documentation with the release binaries

Yes, a snapshot of all documentation should be included in the release
download. Except the JCR spec, if that's a problem.

Regards,
Thomas