jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: Java 5 in Jackrabbit 2.0?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:14:55 GMT
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sun's Java 1.4.x is reaching EOL status in October, so I was wondering
> if there's still need for us to continue using Java 1.4 as the
> baseline for Jackrabbit. Upgrading the minimum platform requirement to
> Java 5 would give us a) some nice language features, b) the chance to
> drop the concurrent library dependency, and c) the chance to directly
> use libraries like Apache Tika that are based on Java 5.
>
> Are there good reasons for sticking with Java 1.4? IMHO a natural
> upgrade point to Java 5 would be Jackrabbit 2.0.

while i agree that moving to java 5 would bring a couple of benefits
i am not sure what that would mean WRT to JCR 2.0 and the RI.

jsr 283 currently requires java 1.4 or higher. if jackrabbit 2.0 (i.e.
the JCR 2.0 RI) would require java 5 we have a compatibility
issue.

i'd be ok with moving to java 5 if we get agreement in the jcr 283 eg
to raise the system requirements as well.

cheers
stefan